Don’t let the festive season turn into a silly season when it comes to Christmas feasting. Here are our top five tips to stay healthy while you treat yourself.
1. Finger food may seem like small harmless morsels, but your total intake can creep up quickly. If you turn up to a cocktail party with hunger pangs, chances are you will be that person stalking the platters. Eat a light snack before you head out or you may end up on a finger food binge.
2. Don’t drink your calories. Soft drinks and alcohol are high in calories, and empty calories at that. Try lightly flavoured soda or mineral water as a mixer or for some good old advice, drink in moderation. You’ll thank yourself in the morning.
3. Swap the sugary, creamy dessert for some seasonal stone fruit this summer. Grown right here in Australia, our mangoes, peaches, cherries and other fruits are highly sought after worldwide. Try our local produce for a fresh, healthy sweet alternative. Give them a go and you’ll be surprised at how quickly your sweet cravings can be satisfied.
4. One day of overeating is okay. It’s when you back it up with more overeating on consecutive days that the weight gain occurs. Overindulged on Christmas day? Go easy on Boxing Day. If you have two functions in one day, graze lightly or skip a big meal.
5. As tempting as it may be to sleep after a big meal, go for a gentle walk instead. The fresh air and the exercise will keep your body active, while you clear your mind and counteract those kilos. Remember, every bit of exercise counts. If it’s too hot or raining, head out to your local Genesis Fitness club, many of which are open 24/7.
This article was proudly provided by the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers, who support Genesis Fitness and help our members achieve their fitness goals. If you are interested in starting a career in Personal Training, click here for more information.