Self-love is the new black, and what better time to celebrate loving you than Valentine’s Day!?
While more and more people are embracing a more positive and accepting relationship with themselves (which is awesome!), it’s still quite a conflicting concept to a lot of us.
For years we’re taught to put other people’s needs before our own, to be humble and not to be vain. These are all good life lessons, but really have nothing to do with loving yourself.
Self-love is not about being conceited, it’s about recognising the importance of investing in yourself, so you can live a more positive life. A life where you have the confidence and self-belief to challenge yourself and achieve anything you set your mind to, having fun along the way! A life where you treat your body and mind with the love, respect and kindness they deserve.
If you hadn’t guessed, we’re here to fly the flag of self-love!
Loving you and building an awesome relationship with yourself is something that everyone should do.
Not only will it instantly boost your self-esteem, self-respect and general happiness levels, it’s also great for your overall health and wellbeing.
Here’s the best news, it’s really easy to do.
Here are 10 simple ways to start practicing self-love today:
1. Start your day doing something that you love. Watch the sun rise, walk your dog or go to your favourite class.
2. Set yourself a positive intention for the day ahead.
3. Get outside and breathe in the fresh air! Step outside and take three deep breaths. Look around and absorb the beauty around you.
5. Let go of negative thoughts that no longer serve you.
6. Read an inspiring book. We recommend Lorna Jane Clarkson’s latest book ‘Love You’. Bonus; it’s jam packed with self-love tips and practices.
7. Quit the negative self-talk – only talk to yourself how you would talk to your BFF.
8. Write yourself a love letter (here is a downloadable template for you)
9. Treat your body with love, nourishing it inside and out. Hydrate and eat fresh, nutritious foods. Use your favourite body scrub, light scented candles and soak in the bath, then use a nourishing moisturiser (or coconut oil) all over.
10.Treat yourself to something that makes you feel great and fills you with confidence (like a new Lorna Jane outfit!)
Your self-love practice is individual to you, so think about all of the things that make you feel great and fill you with positive energy and add them in!
So why not get started right away? Check out our ‘Love You’ gift guide with our top picks to show the special ladies in your life how much you love them (yourself included!):
By Lorna Jane